The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)

The Sea of Monsters  - Rick Riordan This is the second Percy Jackson book about a boy who is the son of Poseidon and goes to a camp for demigods. And yes, if you didn't notice in the first book, this is a Harry Potter clone, with so many parallels it would take a long review to detail them all. I'm told it becomes its own series as it goes along. I'm already 100 pages into the third book, and I'd say that's the first one where I haven't thought of Harry Potter parallels every five pages. In this one, let's just say the similarities between big bad Kronos and Lord Voldemort become even more obvious. Note though, I have continued reading--thus the three and a half stars. The books aren't as strong as Rowling's series by a long shot. In fact, I'm rather appreciating anew just how good the Harry Potter books are by comparing it to this imitation. But I do like, even if not love these characters, and I continue to be amused by encountering all these creatures and gods from classical myth. In this one, for instance, we learn that the Sirens, Circe, Charybdis and all the other features Odysseus encountered in the Mediterranean have picked themselves up and moved to the Bermuda Triangle. Thus all those disappearances, donchaknow. And I did enjoy Tyson, one of the new characters. So if you did like the first book, you should enjoy the second book. So far I don't see any growth in the characters or any surprises. Not I imagine the kind of book I'd read again, but entertaining, yes.