The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson I know in disliking this book I'm an outlier--lots of people raved about this book, including the friend who recommended it to me--and I respect her tastes, but we (literally) couldn't be further apart in our reactions. I do think though that this is one of the cases where this is very subjective. Isn't that mostly the case? Well, always to some extent. But there are one-star books where I could rant about the plot holes, the eye-bleeding wretched best-seller or romance aisle style, etc, where in this case I think this irritated me (mostly) because it scrapped at my world view, my sense of the rightness of things. Teenage Jenna Fox wakes from a year-long coma remembering nothing of her life, which she begins to piece together from hours and hours of what are basically home movies. What was done to her is slowly revealed and is the basis of an examination of the question of identity and medical ethics. What are the limits to what should be done to save a life? I have to give the book snaps for that--for being willing to ask big questions. But there is too much here reminiscent to me of CS Lewis' The Abolition of Man--the whole idea messing with nature is this terrible sin and is the DOOM of mankind. I know the questions it asks are meant to be thought-provoking, but I found it, and the plot, too predictable and too many of its scientific details too implausible. The friend who loved this so much considers herself an environmentalist. I do not. I'm on the side of technology and medical innovation. And our different worldviews in this and other matters might have made all the difference. I know many also praise the style as literary and lyrical. I found it stilted. Very Heminwayesque with its plethora of simple declarative sentences. And another style choice may have contributed to putting me off so that I quickly found myself so irritated. This book is told from the point of view of Jenna--a teen terribly injured in an accident and trying to rediscover who she really is--in first person, present tense. I think the circumstances and style contributed to her sounding very robotic--at least until she switched into angsty and whiny. I felt very distanced from her. I couldn't connect with her, her story, her world at all.