The Graveyard Book

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman I flat-out loved this. It's my second book by Gaiman--my third if you count Good Omens, which Gaiman co-wrote with Terry Pratchett. I do love Good Omens more, and that tempted me to dock this a star to show that distance, but goodness with this just such an awesome read--particularly after trying to make my way through Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, which I've been finding tedious, I have to give it top marks. This, in contrast, was a blast to read. Gaiman wrote that one of his inspirations was Kipling's The Jungle Book, and I could see that. His Bod Owens is a Mowgli of the graveyard--a real live boy growing up amongst ghosties and ghoulies rather than the jungle. As Gaiman wrote: it takes a graveyard to raise a child... This book just delighted me with its imaginative world building and vivid characters that would make Dickens--or Kipling--proud. The book can be found inhabiting the children's section, but this adult certainly found it an unalloyed pleasure.