Ficciones (English Translation)

Ficciones - Jorge Luis Borges, Anthony Bonner, Anthony Kerrigan Borges' Ficciones consists of two "books" of 17 short works of fiction published mostly in the 1940s. I'm told they're landmarks in not just Latin American fiction but modernist literature. Woven throughout the stories are fantastic elements I can well imagine fed into magical realism. I can't say I adored these--they are odd certainly, often surreal, dealing with such recurring devices as labyrinths, "illusory encyclopedias" and an "infinite library," which I'm told inspired both Umberto Eco and Terry Pratchett--I can see that. I do admire the inventive way in which Borges plays with time and reality. Many of these short works seem to toy with concepts of physics as much as using the fantastical. I think what distanced me was the style; it made for an emotionally arid experience. Some of the 17 shorts felt more like essays on imaginary subjects or puzzle pieces than stories; often they're pedantic, laden with literary allusions and including footnotes and even equations--yet rarely dialogue. At times the "I," present in most of these works, is identified as "Borges" himself and I found myself irked at times at such literary bagatelles--I couldn't sink into these stories. I (mildly) liked "The Circular Ruins," "The Garden of Forking Paths" and ""The Secret Miracle" (which is said to be the inspiration for the film, Inception) but by and large didn't find the stories engaging. Maybe something was lost in the translation? Also, after a while I found the plots rather predictable. When the twist came in "The Garden of Forking Paths" I wasn't the least bit surprised. The story might have had more impact if I'd read it in isolation, but by then a definite pattern had emerged. This anthology doesn't make me want to seek out more of Borges.