The Matters at Mansfield: Or, The Crawford Affair (Mr. & Mrs. Darcy Mysteries)

The Matters at Mansfield: Or, The Crawford Affair - Carrie Bebris This was the first Mr and Mrs Darcy mystery by Bebris I read, which may account for my affection for it. I'm not claiming Bebris is Austen's peer in writing, but I think any book I enjoyed as much as this deserves high marks. I enjoyed the Darcys' company quite a bit here, and this is a good solid read, and a strong outing if you compare it not to Austen, but to the usual historical or "cozy" mystery you'd find in stores. I admit another reason I loved it so much is I have a soft spot for poor Anne de Bourgh in Pride and Prejudice. Having Lady Catherine de Bourgh for a mother is a trial indeed, so I quite enjoyed a book that allowed her to get out from under her overbearing mother. Strictly as a mystery this had enough action and twist and turns to have satisfied me even if you changed the names of the characters and cut all the ties to Jane Austen's characters. And the previous books had an element of the supernatural that I never felt really fit Austen--even if they often were rather cleverly interwoven into the mysteries. So I liked the absence of that element to the plot here. Reading these is like spending time with old friends.