The Smoke Thief (The Drakon, Book 1)

The Smoke Thief - Shana Abe It started off with a rather inert telly prologue that nevertheless had a cool premise--this novel is a mixture of historical (Georgian England) and paranormal (shape-shifters into dragons) romance, and does have some imaginative elements. The titular heroine, Rue, is a jewel thief. Unfortunately the focus isn't on any of those aspects, but the "romance" which features the a-hole "alpha," Kit, of the shape-shifting dragon "tribe" who, since the heroine is his destined "mate," sees nothing wrong with doing whatever it takes to get her to yes. The sex scene isn't quite played as rape but had this charming line: Rape or seduction. He would take either. Having suffered through "emerald" and "jade eyes" for the hero and "chocolate" and "chestnut" hair for the heroine, "warm folds" and "velvet sheaths" that line--unfortunately all the way on page 215--did me in. Hey--it was the first book on a romance book recommendation list I was working through--after that I got way less forgiving. First book in a series--won't be looking the others up.