Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 3: Wolves at the Gate (Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse))

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate - Drew Goddard, Joss Whedon, Georges Jeanty, Andy Owens, Michelle Madsen, Richard Starkings I didn't love everything about this volume, but one thing I loved surprisingly was Dracula. I say surprisingly, because I wouldn't name the "Buffy Versus Dracula" episode in Season Four as a favorite. But I thought the character was actually more interesting in this comic than he ever was on the show--and that's the first time I can say that in this series. And this volume had some genuinely funny moments. Buffy was always notable for its humor, even in--maybe especially in--the midst of its saddest moments. I was less than thrilled with the romantic elements. And here I be discussing some parts some might consider spoilers--mild spoilers, because I don't think they're gasp-worthy elements such as some in this series, but spoilers nevertheless, so avert your eyes from the rest of the review if that's an issue with you. *Spoilers* First, Renee. Renee who? Yeah, I had to look the name up again right after reading this. Xander's love. Brief love. Because naturally soon after their first kiss, she's toast. Well, first, God Xander--maybe you should go into the priesthood, because no one he goes out with ever survives long. But also, not feeling the love. In the television series, the death of Jenny and Tara mattered--we cared because they were built up to. But here? Seemed contrived and gratuitous. Then there's Buffy's lesbian interlude with Satsu. Ugh. Look, I loved Tara and was completely on board with Willow/Tara. But it's not just that this is out of the blue. It occurs to me that I can't recall even one male/male sexual relationship in all of Buffy and Angel--not counting the occasional joke or double entendre. Something about this particular relationship of Buffy's seems to me to be male fantasy rather than logical character development. And it points up a feeling I have with these comics I never got with the series. (On the other hand, the scenes where Buffy and Satsu were discovered in bed I did find really funny.)