Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 4: Time Of Your Life (Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Dark Horse))

Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life - Joss Whedon, Jeph Loeb, Karl Moline, Georges Jeanty, Andy Owens, Eric Wight, Ethen Beavers, Adam Van Wyk, Michelle Madsen, Lee Loughridge, Richard Starkings This is my least favorite volume of Season 8 so far. It largely involved Buffy traveling to the future where she meets Melaka Fray--the one and only slayer in her time. Apparently Whedon did some Fray comics, and maybe fans of that will find this installment has more resonance and makes more sense. I found it by and large confusing--and I don't find Moline an improvement over Jeanty. I often found myself not recognizing the figures, and in the case of one of the big reveals--which I felt ambivalent about--I wasn't even sure if that's who I thought it was... In the case of another major reveal, I felt, we'd been there, done that, and I didn't much like that story arc the first time. On the other hand, one thing I always liked about Whedon is he never flinches from the repercussions of things he sets up. I do like how this series is continuing to develop the consequences particularly of Willow's acts--both in bringing Buffy back and in imbuing all the potentials with the full powers of slayers. And I did love a lot of the humor--particularly Buffy's response to Fray's slang. Such as when Buffy says, "Boy the English language is just losing it. I should have treated it better."