Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures (Classic Star Wars)

Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures (Classic Star Wars) - L. Neil Smith, George Lucas I'm rating this and reviewing this for the record--it's something I'm trying to do for all the books I've read, or at least tried. But it's more the case than usual that my personal tastes factor into my reactions--this really just isn't a book for me. I actually was drawn to the book not because of Star Wars, but because of the author, L. Neil Smith. Smith is known as an author of "libertarian science fiction." His novel The Probability Broach is particularly well-known among libertarian circles. When I was newly drawn to those ideas, it was great seeing them reflected in fiction, even if years later, I do find Smith too heavy-handed in his message. (One novel of his I feel isn't is Crystal Empire, an alternate history with a powerful Sino-Aztec Empire.) I've seen all the Star Wars films, but I can't really say I'm a fan, and other than this omnibus of three novels centering on the exploits of Lando Calrissian, I've never picked up a novel based on the franchise. Star Trek yes, Star Wars no. So maybe that was the problem, but I think I liked and knew Star Wars well enough I could enjoy a novel based on it if the story and writing were engaging enough. I just found this lifeless. I read through most of the first novel, Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu, and it never came to life for me. Lando and the whole plot struck me as cardboard. Smith is better than that--but I suspect he was drawn to Star Wars more for the paycheck than a love of the characters and world and it shows.