Time and Chance - Sharon Kay Penman

Peanut, Sweet Potato, and Kale Soup with Coconut Milk

Given the peanuts and coconut milk this is not low calorie and is probably pretty high in saturated fat—but right now I’m actually trying to regain some weight, and I thought it would be a good idea to cook up a lot of soup and freeze small portions—I could always add some meat to make it a more hearty, complete meal and with a more diabetes-friendly protein ratio. Plus, I adore peanut soups and the picture looked so pretty and Serious Eats has yet to let me down.

It turned out delicious—no question about that. But more energy and time then I had intended to devote. Most of the preparation is pretty simple and straightforward although the number of ingredients mean it needed quite a bit of prep. I didn’t have roasted peanuts so I tried roasting them myself in a saucepan and learned to my dismay those scorch easily. I’m sure there’s an easier way to cut away all those cilantro stems, it took me forever. What I found annoying was using the mortar and pestle. Why require that when God made Food Processors? Maybe it’s because mine is so ancient—older than I am. It belonged to my grandmother and my aunt isn’t sure it didn’t come with her all the way from Puerto Rico or was just bought in el Barrio—it’s easily over 60 years old. Using it to make the cilantro mixture wasn’t so bad, and the recipe claims doing so "develops more flavor than simply blending them" but I was cursing the recipe trying to use the mortar and pestle to make the peanuts into a “paste.” And what’s the point when you’re going to puree it all with an immersion blender anyway?

The only alternations I made to the recipe, which is intended to be vegan, is that I used our homemade chicken broth and omitted the sugar and have no intention to serve it with rice. I have to say, I haven’t been much of a fan of kale—but it shined in this soup.